Saturday, April 4, 2009

I'm a loser

About 6 weeks ago, as I was driving down Main Street in American Fork, I saw a banner overhead.  It said "Steel Days Biggest Loser Competition".  At first sight I thought, that's pretty dumb and it's probably expensive, but then my curiosity got the best of me.  I came home and got on the website.  To my surprise, it was only $20 to join.  I thought, what the heck, this just might give me the motivation I need and the worst that can happen is I lose $20.  I dialed up a friend and asked her if she wanted to do it with me.  After some coaxing and maybe begging on my part, she agreed and $20 later I was in the competition.  

Now, if you know me at all, you will know I have a MEAN competitive streak.  Always have, and the older I get I think it gets a little worse.  Some people just called it idiotic and stupid, I like to call it motivated and driven.  The first weigh in was the first of March.  Once I stepped on that scale and knew the competition had started, my competitiveness kicked in.  

I started out by just eating in moderation and exercising for an hour each morning.  I'm still eating in moderation but now I am exercising at home every morning for an hour and walking for 45 minutes or so each night.  I have great friends who are supporting me in this and who "drag" me out every night.  Ok, they don't really drag me, I drag them sometimes.   Not only is it exercise, but it's good girl time.  

So, today was the 2nd weigh in.  They are going to narrow the competition down from 160 people to 50 people.  We are going on percentage of weight lost, not pounds.  I was actually nervous.  I really don't like scales.  I knew what my home scale was saying, but had no idea what the rec center scale would say.  Plus at home I am a naked weigher.  I didn't think I could get away with that very well at the rec center.  

I am happy to report that I lost 14.2 lbs last month, which is 5.86%.  Now don't go get out your calculator and try and figure out what my starting weight was.  I don't know yet if I made it in the top 50.  If not, I would like to be able to say "oh well" but I don't think my competitiveness will allow me to say that.  I will be bummed, but will get over it and continue on my journey without the competition.  I'm not stopping now!  I'm on a roll!  

Stay tuned to see if I make the top 50!  


10 comments:

Christensen family said...

Way to go KIM!!!! I know your competitive side and you can WIN this. I can't wait to hear if you make it to the top 50!!!!

Schmeltzer Family said...

How WONDERFUL! You can do a GREAT job with OR without a competition! I KNOW YOU CAN! YIPPIE! GO GIRL *doing the happy dance for you*

Nancy said...

Kim I am so excited for you. I need to get in on that action. I started working out two weeks ago and i've gained 2lbs. But I'm still determined to take weight off. Thanks for the extra motivation, and good luck to you. I hope you make the top 50. Way to go Loser!

Kim said...

That is AWESOME! Good luck, but either way, I'd love to drop 14 lbs. in a month!

The Peay Family said...

Way to go Kim!!

Teddi said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud of you!

The Marx Family said...

Wow, that is wonderful. I'm jealous!

Terry said...

Thanks for calling me... dang that sounds fun! Good for you! I am so proud of you! I know how competitive you are... that's part of why I love you! Hugs!

agarrett said...

Great job, Kim!! I'm really happy for you!! I'm rooting for you!!

Kathleen Fueston said...

You go Girl! Keep us all goin' K? You are a great motivator and a great friend!
Waaah Hooo!