Saturday, March 21, 2009

Half Marathon

So, as we speak, I am sitting in Moab.  I am here with a good friend watching her run the Canyonlands Half Marathon.  I've been very intrigued with all the different people here for this race.  When I think of a runner, I think of someone who is very fit and very skinny.  I have been proven wrong.  There are all age, types, sizes and shapes of people running today.  

This makes me wonder.  Could I ever run a half marathon?  My first thought is "HELL NO".

Last night we drove the course.  It was breathtaking.  Such beautiful scenery.  It came down the canyon and followed the Colorado River.  As I started driving down the course, I thought to myself "ok, maybe I could do this".  I looked at my odometer, I had driven 2 miles.  I still had 11 MORE miles to go.  We kept driving, and driving, and driving.....and driving.  13 miles is a LONG time.  I know I could bike 13 miles, but run??  It just doesn't sound all that fun to run for more then 2 hours.  Makes me tired just thinking about it.  But as I sit and watch these 5000 people do this race, it sparks something in me.  Maybe I'm just feeling left out because I'm a "spectator", maybe my competitiveness is kicking in, maybe I want to do something in my life that I never ever thought I could do.  Maybe, just maybe I COULD actually do it!

Then I bring my head out of the clouds and come back down to reality.  Could I run a 10K? That MIGHT be possible.  That sounds a lot more realistic then 13.1 miles.  You have to start small right?  I never thought I could be a runner, but maybe it's possible.  Maybe it's all mental. Maybe someday. 

6 comments:

Christensen family said...

Sounds fun Kim. I have always thought the same... though I think I'd start with a 5K. Sounds like a beautiful run though!

agarrett said...

It sounds like fun, Kim. I have a couple friends doing the half marathon and one just doing the 5 mile. I think I'll just stick to the 5k for now.

Kim said...

Get a bike and come ride a century (100 miles) with us! Much better on your knees than running and much more fun. . .

Teddi said...

If anyone could do it, I have no doubt that it'd be you!

Shauna and Chris said...

I love this post. You crack me up. I wish I could get into running too. Maybe someday for me as well.

David Kleparek said...

I've been preparing for a half-marathon for a while. Its all set up for April 19th. I think it would be nicer in Canyonlands than down here in Sacramento. You should do it, but you should work up to it. Anton's done several half-marathons, marathons and even a 50 mile run once, but he's crazy.