Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Grandma Peay


Over the course of my life, there have been two women that have influenced me greatly.  The first is my mother, the second is my grandmother.  

My grandma had back surgery yesterday.  As I waited to hear how the surgery went,  I started reflecting on why I love my grandma.  There are many reasons....too many to mention really, but here are a few:

1.  My grandma is a great example.  Not only to me, but to all those she comes in contact with. Many times when I go to visit, she is sitting in her front room reading her scriptures, the Ensign or a church book.  She has a strong testimony and she shares it in words and actions. Together with my grandpa she has served many mission.  One at Winter Quarters, the second one at Cove Fort and recently was released as a service missionary at the Bishop's Storehouse. Her acts of service are endless.  Through their example all of their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren are active in the church and have or are building their testimonies.  All the grandsons and grandsons-in-law that are old enough have served missions (and one granddaughter, me).  Only one grandson is left, and he is getting prepared to turn in his mission papers.  5 of the 10 grandkids have been sealed in the temple, and the other 5 are striving and preparing for a temple marriage.  I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty good odds.  I attribute it to the example of our grandparents.  

2.  My grandma has a great sense of humor.  There are many times I can recall where grandma has laughed until she cries.  She can laugh at almost anything and has taught us the "laughter is the best medicine".

3.  Grandma is the best game player ever!  Whether it's a rousing game of Crazy Bee, an intense game of Domino's or the crazy game called Farkel, grandma will always be playing.  When we go camping, grandma brings the games.   She also is always willing to play games with the great grandkids.  On Christmas, even though she was in a lot of pain with her back, she was on the floor playing with the train with all the great grandkids.  They all love her, especially when she brings out the famous box of "ring-pops"

4.  Grandma has helped me make lots of memories.  I have fond memories of camping over Easter out west of the lake.  Memories of grandma and grandpa asking all the grandkids to help paint the fence, and grandma joining in on a paint fight.  In the summer, grandma was always willing to participate in a water fight.  I also have many memories of picking her up at the bank on her lunch hour and going to the Purple Turtle for a foot long hot dog, ketchup only. My greatest memory of all was when they surprised the whole family with a trip to Hawaii for their 50th wedding anniversary.  There were 31 of us and we went for 7 days.  We made many memories and it was a trip that we won't soon forget.  

5.  Grandma has taught me how important family is.  She is always having family dinners, parties, and get-togethers.  Because of this, we are an extremely close family.  I have a better relationship with my cousins and 2nd cousins then most people do with their siblings.  We are one big family and I love that!  

Thanks Grandma for all you do!  I love you!



4 comments:

Terry said...

I love your Grandma for all those reasons too! She is something else and I am so glad she is my friend. I have some wonderful memories of her too! We used to take some mean horse rides... killed my backside every time! She has always been so loving and kind to all of us! We love her too! I also love you! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute! Grandma Peay is one in a million to be sure!

Helen said...

Your latest blog makes me cry!! I love that lady...and am sooo glad she's my friend!! You really did get the best Grandma, EVER!! She's been a terrific example to me...and to mine! I love the memories of Easter out West and Lagoon on Pioneer Day. She and your Grandpa...and your Mom, of course, have always made my family feel like we belong to the Peay Family! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us...and for all you do to make us feel included!! I love you, cute kid!! xoxox

Kathleen Fueston said...

This is a wonderful tribute to your Grandma. If she's not a computer user, I hope that you printed this out and gave it to her. It would mean a lot to her.
I can see traits that you got from her!
thaks for sharing!